Monday, September 5, 2011

Home Away From Home

It is LABOR DAY . . . A day of rest for a lot of folks.   Some, like my friend Barbara are the 'camping type', bless them for camping has never been my forte . . . but if you have to camp this is the way to go.   They have a lovely trailer to enjoy and maybe if I had had such 'diggens' I would have camped more than once in the wilds.     Barbara and her husband Dick didn't go to the wilds but to Honeyman State Park near Florence, Oregon.  Barbara's e-mail was hilarious.    She said that the camp grounds was filled with every conceivable RV, Trailer and tent and vehicles in every spot.  "Kids, dogs, aunts uncles, grandparents all bunching up in one site after another"  They did take the bunny rabbit and the quail that I introduced you to in a blog last week.    Well, they are tiny and tender and need care especially when the little eggs are in the nest.  Barbara didn't expect Dick to lift the Quail cage and have the square wire on the bottom open up and the Quail got out.   Dick was quick to grab the male but the female flew up in the air and Barbara said not only was it nerve racking but it was a comedy to be on video for all to see.   They chased the hen around the camp site until Dick finally got hold of it.   I think the consensus is that the 'animals' will stay home next time they go camping and they will hire a quail sitter to watch the nest.     I am still laughing over the fact she intends to get more hens as 'Ole' was jumping on Lena every five minutes . . . all that after a merry chase.  Maybe they should have sent Ole out to help herd Leno back into the cage.    They made it home and are,as she put it, 'back to normal'.  Thanks for sharing Barbara, I am still laughing.


So today, if you are celebrating the holiday, I hope it is with friends and family and you are having the cook- out of the year.    I walked over to Freddys yesterday and they were touting already cooked ribs on a cooker outside but I never did see it.   I would have bought some ribs for today.   It is fine though as my neighbor La Verne came in last evening to check up on me and brought me some garden tomatoes and an enchilada.  So today I am going to make a big salad with all my fresh garden tomatoes and I might even fire up the oven to try that new tiny apple pie I picked up yesterday.  The pies are now coming out in single piece rounds and I am anxious to see what they taste like.  Marie Calender is branching out in single size these days.   So think about accepting an invitation out or inviting friends over and enjoy all of your seconds today in good company.    Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment