Monday, July 18, 2011

New pictures from Alaska

Glen Alps on a summer evening.
Alaska has puffy clouds too.
yearling female
Musk Ox

Yearling male

Son John took these pictures at the Musk Ox farm.   There are sixty-six musk oxen on the farm, and although my son didn't tell me what 'quviet' is, he did mention that it was sent to Rhode Island for processing into yarn then sent on to the local villages in Alaska for knitting projects.    I am assuming that it is the fur or something that is in the fur but will have to take time to find out.   It will give 'us' a project to do later today.   Meanwhile, I would love to visit this farm and see the animals.   They are not the most handsome of the animal kingdom but they do have a charm all their own.   Much like the lot of us.   , , , just spoke with my son on the Instant Message and he tells me that 'quviet' is the fine fur they shed each year in April, so now we know.

It is Monday, the beginning of our new week and what are we planning on doing with it???  As for me, I will have a bit of the empty nest feeling, like my daughter Patricia, as Erin and Donaleo are leaving to day for Yosemite and the winding down of their vacation.    It has been a great visit and I have been lucky to be a part of all the festivities.    Donaleo proved to be a man with smiling eyes and a great personality.   I think he could be a writer as he had many interesting tales to tell.    So today, we will wish them 'happy trails'  and hope they find the time to return when they have a long weekend or one of the holidays.     We will welcome them with open arms closed into a great big hug.    

Our overcast and misty rain continues.  I think this coast is about the only cool place in the States.    We will warm up soon as the weathermen predict a little heat around here too.   I guess we all have to have a taste of summer heat, and I can enjoy that as well.     We need to catch up with some vitamin D and store some up for the winter months which will be here before we know it.   A week and a half and August will be here and then we will see the temperature rise.    Good old 'dog days', um . . . wonder what is in store for all of us? No sense worrying about it, as it will come soon enough and we will deal with it as we do everything else.  

So today,  put a smile on your face and go out and 'lick' the world, and as grandfather Sullivan would ask, "have you yet to meet a man better than yourself?"    pride and a bit of conceit, we can all use a bit of that.   So make your seconds count and find the best and easiest way to accomplish all you have to do this week.   Go about your business with  a song or a whistle, whichever makes you happy.    Hugs to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment